Saturday, February 28, 2009

Unknown understorey plant

This is an unknown plant, possibly a young Pandan or an unusual palm. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

A couple of years or so back, this area was in international spotlight after sightings of creatures and giant footprints of what local officials claimed as "Big foot" or giant apeman. Some authorities even mooted the idea of declaring this a national park, but this soon fizzles off as palm oil prices skyrocketed. I had never seen these footprints, but I would very much love to have these claims proven true.

With this post, I end the Peat Forest series for now, until my next trip there....

9 comments:

Hermes said...

No idea what it is, looks possibly juvenile - but what a great trip you had. Helps highlight why these areas should be protected.

Anonymous said...

I've seen that before but don't know what it's called. Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I'll try your tip and see if I get different colors. BTW, sadly I lost that whole bunch of flowerbuds but the plant survives.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I grow a a similar native plant. Molineria capitulata, Palm Grass or Weevil Lily. It grows the same way the leaves look very graceful and are pleated. It produces tiny yellow flowers. It might be a relative.

arboretto said...

Beautiful plant! It's similar a native Amazonia plant's: Cyclanthus bipartitus, Cyclanthaceae.

Junwang said...

This looks like Mapania cuspidata, a shade tolerant member of the family Cyperaceae, and is native to Southeast Asia.

Hort Log said...

Hi Junwang, thanks so much for your suggestion, this name is new to me - will try to check it out in more details as the internet info is sketchy.

Thanks again !

Jonathan Yew said...

Hi, This is a Molineria capitulata. We have this in Singapore as well =)

Hort Log said...

Jonbravo - thanks for the lead.

Anonymous said...

Looks like some kind of Mapania to me

Related Posts with Thumbnails