Friday, April 3, 2009

Enroute to GNYOS

....just a few steps out of cavernous Grand Central, I felt that Spring arrived earlier here in Manhattan compared to where I stayed up north...perhaps it was because of these impressive flower displays. I had travelled here for the Greater New York Orchid Show. Due maybe to anticipation, or the crisp air - I had a little spring at my heels as well.
I was still holding the foam cup of nescafe from a pushcart man, an immigrant from Latin America. For about a dollar, it was almost Singapore price. After turning a corner, I reached Rockafella Centre, and was greeted by this display of white and blue. The Hyacinth perfume was overwhelming and did not go too well with my coffee, which had turned cold very quickly....
I glanced down the foyer - just 3 months ago, it was an ice skating ring full of revellers. Now stands of exotic blooming plants were everywhere. I was looking forward to this after going through a cold white winter....actually it was my first cold white winter.
The bliss of a foreign Spring contained within the glass.

Notes of a trip to Greater New York Orchid Show (or GNYOS) I made a few years back while staying in Upstate NY. Sadly, this year, perhaps due to the economic turmoil, the show has been postponed indefinitely ....

4 comments:

Claude said...

It's a shame that it's been postponed this year... it seems to me that people need a cheerful display of flowers more than ever.

Beautiful pics

buedamau said...

new york with all that colorful flowers look just great! i was never there but i feel i know it from the movies, but like this it's even more beautiful! that first pic makes anyone dreaming of it...

Hermes said...

But those tulips should live for ever in your photos.

Hort Log said...

Yes I do have nice memories of Manhattan, as long as I am not driving....

Related Posts with Thumbnails